When you walk onto the Belgian pavilion's lovely rooftop terrace, the first thing you'll notice is of course the warm atmosphere, blue endless skies turning to gold and then black, and the cold beers on every table, but most definitely the cosy setting. We have our partner Tribù to thank for this last element. We believe their Tosca furniture is really what brings all the elements of our rooftop terrace together and elevate them to a level that has people coming back to our pavilion time and again.
Let's let Tribù themselves describe their Tosca furniture.
Let’s talk in Tosca. Because apart from the unique design, the understated luxury and the technological innovation this collection stands for, the Tosca sofas, chairs, loungers and daybeds are incredibly comfortable. The perfect setting for a talk about design, or about opera for that matter. Because Tosca was named after the eponymous opera by Giacomo Puccini. A dramatic love story without a happy ending. Luckily this Tosca is a true success story.
How to be intriguing, a bit mysterious even and at the same time displaying a warm and welcoming feeling? For us, it was clear from the very beginning that we needed a female designer like Monica Armani to complete such a task. And she succeeded fabulously in combining both emotion, comfort and personality in one extraordinary collection. The rounded bucket seats embraced by wide, vertical braids immediately became a signature look for the Tosca collection, together with the tapered legs and the muted tone-on-tone colours of the frame and the weave. Luxury in its most refined form.
Tactile and Technical
Monica Armani teamed up with her husband Lucca Dallabetta, who is a technical engineer, to develop a unique and very tactile fabric fitted for the Tosca range. The know-how of both the couple and Tribù resulted in the XL weave by covering the foam with a seamless, tubular stocking knitted from Textilene and polyolefin. Ready to resist water, staining, fungi and UV radiation. The result is a natural and very elegant look which enhances the feeling of understated luxury that Tosca breathes. To complete the range, Monica Armani designed a refined oval dining table and matching coffee tables, available in five different colours of ceramics resting on elegant tapered legs similar to those of the dining chairs.
Relaxing at the Belgian pavilion
Tosca’s lounger, daybed, chair and sofas have the distinctive ability to keep their beautiful looks thanks to their weather resistance. That easy maintenance of the furniture makes this collection extremely suitable for the hospitality market. At the Belgian pavilion at Expo 2020 for example, the Belgian pavilion selected Tosca for its contemporary design, its luxurious elegance but also for its comfort. Both the comfort of enjoying a breathtaking view in the best possible seats as the comfort of not having to worry about constantly changing furniture from outdoor to indoor. A mind at ease.
Want to get to know Tribù a bit better?
How was your company created? What motivated you? (Educational background, career path...)?
Exclusive, modern outdoor furniture: this is the field of distinction of Belgian design house Tribù. In the early nineties, Tribù was a pioneer of the philosophy that the terrace and garden should be seen as extensions of the house. Strengthened by its years of experience, this family-run design house has grown to become an internationally acclaimed brand. Luxury outdoor furniture from Tribù is now distributed in more than 70 countries and belongs to the best in the industry.
Living the good life outside
It is our passion to make people forget their daily stress while relaxing in one of our many exclusive pieces of design garden furniture. Every piece is a blend of quality, simplicity and modern elegance. Our extensive range of modern outdoor furniture, but also parasols and outdoor accessories, will transform every terrace into a place where you can have a pleasant time with family and friends. Tribù's years of expertise and flexibility with respect to finishes, colours and fabrics, also makes us a valued partner for the hospitality sector. From the design phase right up to the finished project you will experience the outdoor expertise of Tribù.
How many people do you employ?
What does your metier mean to you? What impact do you think it can have?
We have the experience of more than 54 years in creating high quality design outdoor furniture. This makes us one of the best companies worldwide when it comes to decorating luxury terraces and exclusive hotels and resorts.
What do you consider to be the biggest strength of your company?
We see the outdoor area as the extension of the living room. We create furniture that has the same look and feel as indoor, but at the same time is resistant to be left outside in any extreme weather condition. We develop a lot of natural feeling fabrics and materials and use very natural and warm colours.
What exactly will you be doing for the Belgian pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai?
The rooftop of the Belgian Pavilion is completely installed with Tribù outdoor furniture; from T-table to tosca, in colours inspired by nature.
What projects do you have for the future?
We are working on several high-end projects worldwide. For example our furniture will be placed in the new restaurant by Heston Blumenthal in Dubai.
What are the biggest challenges you face regarding your work?
Looking at the worldwide logistical problems, as well as the rarity of raw natural materials such as teak wood; these are two of our biggest challenges. Further, sustainability is becoming more and more important.
What are the values and objectives that you bring to your work?
- Discreet luxury: modern but never lacking in purity and refinement, this is Tribù’s design ethos. Luxurious and understated modern outdoor furniture, without striking shapes and colours. Tribù is timeless.
- Durable quality: Tribù strives for durability and only selects materials of the highest quality. Outdoor furniture has to withstand a great deal more than interior furniture – a design challenge that Tribù happily embraces.
- Innovation: research and development is one of the cornerstones of Tribù. Our strength is our an endless passion for seeking out new, natural-looking materials for modern garden furniture that defies all weathers.
- Unmatched comfort: beautiful and comfortable? Sink down into our high-quality garden furniture and feel all your tensions melt away. A comfortable sitting experience is a high priority for us, as you'll find out for yourself.
- Respect: Tribù is committed to maintaining ethical business practices and a respect for nature. We ensure for instance that the working conditions for our weavers in Indonesia are up to standard. We are also striving towards realising our vision of making all our packaging eco-friendly. We’re getting closer to this goal every day.
- How has the current pandemic affected your work? The longer lead times in production and deliveries have been a big challenge but we have managed to overcome these problems and we are seeing a big growth in sales nowadays, also due to the fact that many people stayed at home and invested more in decorating their house and garden.
- Do you have any advice for others who want to start off on the same adventure as you?
Never give up and aim for the best!